16 July 2008

Enough Politics for Awhile...

As the title suggests, I'm burnt out on politics. I've been reading and researching all sorts of people for one reason or another and it is all bad news. So on a lighter note, I'm going to write a bit about the story I'm writing, mostly for my own purposes, clearing my thoughts, building ideas, and so forth.

So, the main character is the infamous Merkol. Many know of him, few understand him. At the start of the story he is an assassin in the sinister city of Kanebridge. His brother, Pren, along with a friend, Nogan Beardfist, has come back from his travels to retrieve Merkol. He finds his brother deep in webs of deceit, more tangled than Pren would like. Eventually, a rebellious detective named Dwyt Daubers, hired to investigate Merkol's most recent assassination, releases more information than his benefactors (who happen to be the same party who paid Merkol to kill Eldivar, who was a goodly noble of some importance and sway) desired. Removed from the private investigation, Dwyt puts up with the Kanebridge magistrate and gets a warrant for Merkol's arrest, then proceeds to chase him down with the full force of the city's police, something never intended by his first benefactors, who covered the murder up as much as possible.

Now chased by Kanebridge's police, as well as his own original benefactors, Merkol is forced to flee the city alongside Pren and Nogan, and returns to Elendra with them. Meanwhile in Elendra, the self-proclaimed king of all elves (haven't decided on a name yet) continues to conquer and unite communities. He is a very mysterious figure, even to me mostly because he's relatively new to the story. I'm not sure what to do with him... is he a part of the resistance movement that Pren works for? or is he an underground bad-guy aligned with Kanebridge's elite? Hmm, Kanebridge's elite... I'm alienating them and I can't do that. I have to develop them in their evil genius just like any of the hero characters. So that's on the list of things to do.

Anyway, at this point I get stuck. The grand scheme of things isn't entirely there yet. I know I'm combining the idea of the "moon crystals" in, and tacking on that they're a main source of energy and are nearly depleted. They are harvested all over the world, but concentrated in a few regions. But where the plot goes from there I can't say... Things I know must happen are that during the struggle Pren and his wife-to-be, an elf named Coramara Xen'shei, who elopes to be with him, gives birth to their son, and the end of this early saga involves Pren sacrificing himself in some way to end the evil threat (if only temporarily -- it'll return when their son, Xiev, comes of age, as any good evil should). Another problem: I haven't clearly defined the "evil threat" yet. Is it going to be some conspiracy thing? Probably, a little. But it should be some deep, dark evil too, like wizards sacrificing infants to raise legions of demons. Or something.

So as you can see, I'm very far from completion, or even really a true beginning. But I'm working on it, slowly. For now, I'm going to publish this though. Enjoy.

No comments: